Monday, May 18, 2015

Patterns Marriages and Families.


My classes have been really interesting these past couple of days. In my marriage class we have been focusing on threats to families and in my family relations class we have been talking about how there are many systems that effect families. We have also discussed the importance of creating patterns in our families.
I had the great opportunity to create a family Genogram. Now if you don't know what a Genogram is that is ok because I didnt know either at first. It reminds me a lot of a family tree but you connect marriages with patterns and relationship statues. for example, were they distant or did they love each other. It was really interesting to go through my family tree and connect patterns of why certain people are the way they are because of their ancestors. I have also noticed a positive relationship pattern in my family. One of those patterns in getting married in the LDS temple. This pattern has continued throughout my mom's side of the family because of the righteous sacrifices my grandparents made. It really is a remarkable story. All of my cousins and aunts and uncles they are married are married in the temple. I am so grateful for that. Of course there are other patterns in my family that have been interesting to me. I learned a lot that we can create our own patterns in our marriages and families. I am excited one day to create traditions of my own.


-Marriage is between a man and wife.  I am so grateful I am taking this course, because I am preparing myself for marriage. I really found it interesting this week as  I was reading through the readings how important it is to understand the doctrine of marriage and why marriage is so important in the plan of salvation. God has a plan for us and it is only possible through his way. I know marriage is essential in one day returning to live with God. It is so important to know the roles that we play in this life. Woman and Men all play important roles in the family. They are all different but they are all working for the same purpose. It is only through a man and wife that children can be born. How lucky are we to have the opportunity to foster children in this life. We are the ones that can open that spiritual portal and let those kindred spirits have a chance to live. I am grateful for that responsibility it truly is a blessing.
Speaking of all this marriage really is a blessing but it is not always easy and it must require our full efforts. We must work at it and perfect it. We must be selfless. This is something else that I learned this week.
Selflessly giving of oneself is one of the hardest aspects of marriage. Our natural tendency is to be self-focused: that we make sure we're happy; that we get our way; that we're right. But happiness in marriage cannot be achieved when we put our selfish needs first. President Ezra Taft Benson said:

"Today's inordinate emphasis on individualism brings egotism and separation. Two individuals becoming 'one flesh' is still the Lord's standard. 

"The secret of a happy marriage is to serve God and each other. The goal of marriage is unity and oneness, as well as self-development. Paradoxically, the more we serve one another, the greater is our spiritual and emotional growth" ("Salvation—A Family Affair,"                         
 
I hope one day I get be selfless and show God I am willing to bring children into this earth.

No comments: